CO2CRC - CO2CRC Management Pty Ltd
The Cooperative Research Centre for Greenhouse Gas Technologies (CO2CRC) is one of the world's
leading collaborative research organisations focused on carbon dioxide capture and geological sequestration (geosequestration, CO2 capture and storage, carbon capture and storage).
CO2CRC is an unincorporated joint venture comprising participants from Australian and global industry, universities and other research bodies from Australia and New Zealand, and Australian Commonwealth, State and international government agencies. Its resources come from the Federal Government’s Cooperative Research Centres Programme, other Federal and State Government programs, CO2CRC participants, and wider industry.
The CO2CRC works through three main research programs:
- Capture of CO2, through which scientists research, develop and aim to demonstrate technologies that will reduce the costs of capturing CO2 by 75 to 80 per cent;
- Storage of CO2, through which researchers are studying sedimentary basins and identifying regions and sites in Australia and New Zealand that are best suited to the safe, deep sub-surface storage of CO2; and
- Demonstration and Pilot Projects and Regional CO2 Strategies, which is demonstrating that geosequestration is a viable option for CO2 mitigation in Australia.
CO2CRC activities include:
- undertaking leading research into and development of technologies for CO2 CCS;
- decreasing commercial risks by demonstrating the practical application of CO2 capture and storage technologies to reduce carbon dioxide emissions;
- developing new economically and environmentally sustainable opportunities for decreasing CO2 emissions by assessing the scope for the application carbon dioxide capture and storage in a range of different geographical, technical, and commercial settings in Australia, New Zealand, and elsewhere in the Asia-Pacific region;
- contributing to the development and global uptake of CO2 capture and storage technologies by participating in international programs and collaborating with leading researchers and research groups globally;
- strengthening the uptake of CO2 capture and storage through technology transfer and developing new commercial opportunities based on CO2CRC intellectual property;
- and meeting the needs of industry and government for quality graduates and well-trained staff by providing excellent education and training in greenhouse gas technologies.